January 12, 2014 by Joanne T Ferguson
Here is my New Year’s confession!
I am continuing to LOVE my Thermomix aka Thermalina in 2014 too!
There is SO much to learn, so many new recipes to try, so many new recipes to create!
I think it’s ABSOLUTELY great!
First of all, I would like to thank Leonie from Sydney, a Thermomix in Australia consultant who has a terrific blog called ThermoFun which continues to inspire me!
I recently found out Leonie was having a ThermoFun Thermomix January ‘Cook Off’ Challenge and I was keen to “have a go!” (Aussie lingo for try!)
The rules are VERY simple for this ThermoFun Thermomix January ‘Cook Off’ Challenge:
“You need to create one dish with the two ingredients listed … – it can be a main meal, dessert, etc but it MUST contain the two ingredients.
It can be an original recipe or one that you have adapted or seen. If it is not YOUR recipe then please be sure to give credit where it is due.”
In all of my posts to date, I always give credit where credit is due and think it is appreciated by heaps of foodie friends worldwide too!
I LOVE learning all things food and Thermomix new!
No recipe is “really” an original, so before I start, I would also like to share how my adapted recipes were inspired by Jane’s Scallops on Sunday from Why Is There Air? as well Mussels with Spicy Sauce from Melbourne blog Thermomixer and as previously done in Dear Thermalina…Seasonings, Sauces, Marinades…REALLY?
Everyone has their person stories about HOW and WHY they obtained the Thermomix bug, so please check out their sites and feel free to refresh yourself in what were the goals for me in Dear Thermalina Is Thermomix REALLY for ME? which have been more than achieved with OUTSTANDING results.
Back to the challenge, eh?
All Challenge Images Courtesy of ThermoFun
- Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 red onion, cut in ¼'s
- 1 clove garlic
- 85 grams olive oil
- 2 red chillis, fine sliced
- 200 grams after desseding truss, finely dice
- 100 gram sav blanc white wine
- 1 - 3 teaspoons capers,drained
- Ingredients for Scallops & Vegetables
- 150 grams scallops
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon sav blanc white wine (optional but recommended)
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 head baby broccolini florets, trimmed
- black pepper to taste
- baking paper
- arugula leaves (optional)
- spinach leaves (optional)
- oil spray (optional)
- good quality balsamic vinegar (optional but recommended)
- Preparing the Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Place onion and garlic into the Thermomix bowl; chop 4 seconds speed 5; scrape down sides and repeat for additional 4 seconds; can skip additional step if happy with size of onion and garlic.
- Drizzle in oil, add chilli; cook 7 minutes 100° speed 2.
- Add tomatoes, wine and capers; leaving the measuring cup tilted to allow sauce to thicken; cook 15 minutes Varoma Temperature speed 1.
- While sauce is cooking, slice vegetables; place in bowl of cold water; drain well with paper towel before using.
- Wash and trim scallops to desired shape and size; drain well with paper towel;set aside.
- When sauce is done, oil spray Varoma trays. (optional)
- With baking paper, (size to fit inside the Varoma with some vents clear), scrunch under water; wring out; place in smaller Varoma tray; add zest of lemon and splash of white wine.
- Place vegetables in larger Varoma tray.
- Position the Varoma on the lid; cook 13 minutes Varoma temperature speed 1 or until desired doneness.
Here are some photo of the preparation, so please sit back and enjoy the views!
The ThermoFun Thermomix January ‘Cook Off’ Challenge per Leonie:
“entries close 11.59pm Sunday 12th January 2014 (ESDST). Once all entries have been verified an album will be made on the Facebook page and open for voting. Voting will finish on Monday 13th January 2014 at 8pm (ESDST) and the person with the most likes will win the ThermoFun January ‘COOK OFF’ Challenge.
The winner will receive a ThermoFun All In One Membership valued at $37
The runner up will receive a ThermoFun Recipe Club Membership valued at $27″
While voting has never been “my thing”, I am more of a judges decisions kind of gal, but the rules are the rules.
Should you wish to vote via Leonie’s ThermoFun Facebook page, feel free to do, but it my Thermomix PASSION and ENTHUSIASM, with my BUBBLY Thermomix personality and recipe today that gives me the greatest pleasure in sharing with you!
Hands up, would anyone like to try this now?
For Thermomix owners, do you use your Varoma? (Be honest with me!)
Have I inspired anyone who previously have not used your Varoma or have now inspired someone to try this too?
Please note the recipe is provided “as a guide” and feel free to use up what you have on hand or your personal preferences too!
I LOVE foods that are hot and spicy; feel free to adjust the recipe for personal taste.
To me, it had a nice kick, but was not overwhelming!
Oh WHAT fun I had in my kitchen AGAIN today!
All comments brighten my day!
For non Thermomix owners, if you have a question for me; in the blog comments also from YOU I would welcome to see!
Thank you again Leonie for your ThermoFun Thermomix January ‘Cook Off’ Challenge and look forward to future Thermomix recipes coming your way!