April 12, 2014 by Joanne T Ferguson
I wish you could all come through the screen and try one of these over a lovely cup of coffee or tea!
My name is Joanne aka Joanna aka mickeydownunder aka FANG and I have a confession today!
My friend Maureen continues to inspire me every day via her Orgasmic Chef blog!
A little over a week ago, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Maureen’s The IGA Creative Kitchen Challenge – Week 1.
As you know by now, I am always up for a food challenge and decided “this was the week.”
For those unfamiliar with the challenge, IGA Supermarkets Australia provides Featured Ingredients to be purchased for each week of the Easter Challenge.
The recipes and photos submitted are from genuine home cooks who are passionate about what they can “uniquely create!”
I LOVE IGA’s “local support” of “local schools, functions and events” creating a “sense of IGA family!”
This week’s Featured Ingredients are: Mayonnaise, Cheese, Cooking Sauce, Yogurt, and Avocado; my favorite!
I love avocado anything and my mind was working overtime to try and come up with something just that little bit “different and unusual”, just like me!
I was thinking how could I combine my love of avocados with my love of coffee in a nutty sort of way!
And how with avocados I could brighten someone’s day?
I do hope I am not the only one who “sees the sunshine” in my Avocado Lemon Pecan Pistachio Coffee Cake!
Does Avocado Lemon Pecan Pistachio Coffee Cake Get Your Curiosity? about how easy and economical it can to make?
Anyone who is an avocado fan will surely be in love this!
- 255 grams bakers flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 85 grams unsalted butter, small cubed and chilled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 170 grams milk
- 1 Australian Avocado approximated 210 grams, scooped out, mashed
- ⅛ cup pecan pieces, finely ground
- ⅛ cup pistachio pieces, finely ground
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup icing mixture
- 42 grams cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Flour for kneading, coating pan
- Butter for coating pan
- In a stand up mixer, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add small cubed butter and combine well.
- Cut avocado, scoop out middle, mash until no lumps in a bowl.
- Add milk to avocado mixture and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients in stand up mixer until well combined; until dough forms.
- Remove dough from the bowl onto a slightly floured flat surface; hand knead dough until dough is smooth.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap; place in fridge for 1 hour.
- While dough is in the fridge, combine ground pecans, ground pistachios and sugar in a dish until well combined; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine icing mixture, softened cream cheese, 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and zest from one lemon; set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare a round 8 x 8 cake pan with butter and flour; shaking any excess flour out.
- Remove dough from fridge; cut dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll one piece as a flat disk and place in the middle of the prepared pan.
- Cut each remaining dough piece in half.
- Roll each of these pieces in your hand slightly into is a longer v-shaped piece; place each piece from the smaller end up around the original disk at same intervals.
- Brush tops of dough with melted butter.
- Add finely ground pecan, pistachio and sugar mixture onto the dough.
- Baked in oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove cake from the oven and drizzle over lemon cream cheese mixture.
- Cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!
Butter and flour the round pan for better results.
If nuts start to brown too quickly, top cake with aluminum foil.
If lemon glaze made in advance, may need to slightly warm it to make drizzling over the cake easier.
Chef Georgio devoured two with love while taste testing before he gave the two thumbs up and asked for more!
Have you ever submitted a recipe to a cooking or baking contest?
Do you love avocados as much as I do?
Would you like to dunk one of my Avocado Lemon Pecan Pistachio Coffee Cake in your coffee or tea?
Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and StumbleUpon buttons are conveniently located at the bottom of this Does Avocado Lemon Pecan Pistachio Coffee Cake Get Your Curiosity? post!
All comments “on my blog please” brighten my day and in sharing Does Avocado Lemon Pecan Pistachio Coffee Cake Get Your Curiosity?